Monday, September 10, 2012

The Good and The Bad


We had a very interesting weekend for a change.  Unfortunately, one part was very good; the other part was very bad.

One of our nephews had a heart attack.  He is a very sweet man and the last person that one would expect to have a problem like this.  He is having quadruple bypass surgery today and our prayers are going up for him and his family.  He has always been the life of the party and so much fun to be around.  Please send up a prayer for him during your day.

The other thing that happened this weekend was that one of our nieces got married.  It was a beautiful ceremony and they seem so very happy together.  We were privileged to witness this union and enjoy the fun and fellowship at the reception after the service.  She was a very beautiful bride and he a very handsome groom.

I was thinking how strange life is sometimes.  Most of us MSers have to think about ourselves so much that we sometimes get lost in our own little world.  There are so many things going on around us and we often lose track of them.  It is not that we are selfish or don’t care what is happening.  It is usually that it takes us so much longer and uses so much more energy to do normal things like walking, talking and eating that we don’t have the time or energy to do much else.  It is frustrating for us and makes us feel so helpless in situations where we really want to be useful and able to help others.

In years past I would have been one of the ones helping with the decorations and food for the wedding.  Now, I am just an onlooker.  In years past I would have been one of the first to the hospital to see what I could do to help.  Now, I am sitting at home waiting on news of how things are going.

I am thankful that most of our family understands these things.  I know that many have families that don’t and it causes them a lot of pain and problems.  I have a friend who has a real problem with her parents and siblings because they just “don’t get it”.  She is constantly being asked to do things that she cannot do and then criticized for not being able to do them.  My heart really breaks for her and the unnecessary struggles that she goes through each day.

Although I feel very useless in not being able to help in times of need, I am thankful that I can usually participate in family gatherings and celebrations.  It is nice that even though we cannot be the person we once were, we can try to improve on the person we are!

(By the way, this is the good and the bad……..the ugly you will just have to find for yourself!!) 

2 comments:

Muffie said...

Oh, I so understand what you're saying! I have to do so much planning before any event, then it takes me so long to get ready, that I'm tired before I go. I usually end up having fun once I arrive, and no one really knows what happens behind the scenes. It's just aggravating to have to go through this all the time.
He's in my prayers for successful surgery.
Peace,
Muff

Janie said...

Thanks Muff...he is such a crazy, fun guy and it is really hard to imagine he is so sick. I really appreciate the prayers!