Friday, May 10, 2013

Rise And Shine


I used to hate the sound of the alarm clock.  Back when I used one it always meant it was time to get up and get ready for work.  I liked the work I was doing, it was just the getting up and getting ready to go that I dreaded.

Saturday was a good day because I could sleep a little longer and not be so rushed.  Sunday was good because I could sleep a little later and the go to worship.  Other people who were in the workforce seemed to agree with that sentiment.

Now that I am out of the workforce, I miss that routine………not that I could keep up anymore, but it always gave me a purpose each day.  Most days now I get up when I am ready, unless there are doctor appointments that day.  When I need to rest, I don’t have to keep pushing until I can get off work, I just lie down and rest. 

When I was working, I had a responsibility to get certain things done in a given time frame.  I had to be dressed, clean and ready to put myself in the mode to do my job.  No matter how much we may like or dislike our job, it really does give us a sense of accomplishment and reason to get up in the morning.

I have had a series of bad days so I guess I have the blues.  It is not an unusual thing, but one I really dislike having.  For the most part, I am an upbeat, happy person.  No matter how bad things seem at the time, I know that there are countless others who are having it so much worse than I am.  That does not mean that I don’t have “pity poor me” spells at times.

When I got up this morning, I did my usual thing of going to the kitchen and getting a cup of coffee.  Usually, by the time I finish my first cup, I am getting more awake and thinking about what I hope to get done that day.  This morning I did not get to that point.  I could not shake the feeling that if I kept trying to walk and move around I was going to fall.  Even after I took a short nap, the feeling did not go away.  I think most would call it the droopies.

I guess these type of days make me sad because, even on my good days, it is hard to do the things I want to and my “to do” list just gets longer and longer.  We all want to feel useful and able to take care of the things that need done.  Some days that feeling just is not there.

Since I do not seem to be gathering any energy this day, maybe I will just go lie down again………..and think about the things that need doing……..pretend I am up and doing them…….and trying not to snore loud enough to bother anyone!

No comments: