Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Bobby Sox and Poodle Skirts

Actually, bobby sox and poodle skirts were a little before my time, but I do remember peace signs and psychedelic rock! 

Most of us with debilitating diseases, injuries or other handicaps sometimes long for the good old days.  I often think of the times when I could go dancing, running or shopping without any cares.  It seems like a long time ago.

Sometimes, if we dwell on them, we get into a “blue funk”.  Depression sets in and we lose the happiness that we could have if we got off our pity pots.  As I have admitted in earlier blogs, I have a really used pity pot and get on it at times.  It is not a place I try to visit often or stay for any length of time, though.

Although things have improved as far as trying to accommodate those of us that have disabilities, there is much still to be done.  A lot of what really bothers me is the attitude of a lot of people.

The “walk a mile in my shoes” saying comes to mind when people stare at us.  If they only knew how much we would trade just a few moments of “normal” with them. 

When I was young, manners were strictly enforced by any adult in the area.  A child could be disciplined by the closest adult to them, not just their parents.  In this day and time, if you were to try and calm a child, even your own, you can be arrested.  It is so sad to see our world coming to this.

But, don’t get me wrong.  There are many parents, including my own, who carried the discipline thing way out of proportion.  I am NOT in any way, shape or form, advocating punishing a child to the point of harm.  But, a few manners would be a nice change for some children, as well as adults.

It really bothers me when people stop and stare at someone who is having a hard time walking, talking or doing something that other people consider an easy task.  Those of us that have some bad days and can’t function normally at times are aware of our problems and really do not need for others to make us more conscientious of them.

Oh how I long for the good old days
When being romantic, we walked hand in hand
Through leaf covered forests
Over white grains of sand.
When the world was so innocent
We were young and naïve
When goodness and truth
Were in what we believed.
When the simple things
Were what we strived for and got
When COKE went with COLA
And PAN went with POT!! J

4 comments:

Christine Messaros said...

Love this blog post and the poem at the end!

Janie said...

Thank you, Christine!

Muffie said...

I think we all throw ourselves pity parties from time to time, and rightly so. We have lost a lit, and we need to grieve that loss. Loved the poem!!
Peace,
Muff

Janie said...

Thanks Muffie!!