Friday, April 27, 2012

Spell It Like It Is

Have you ever noticed that so many things are spelled so weirdly?  Take bouquet for instance.  If I spell it like it sounds to me, it would be boo-kay.  What would be wrong with that?  I realize that people in different parts of this country pronounce things a little differently, but not THAT different!

So much of our language is derived from French, Latin, German, and many other languages.  That is fine.  But why can’t we spell them to suit our way of speaking instead of theirs?  Makes no sense to me.
What has this got to do with MS?  MS is MS no matter what most doctors think about it or want to call it.  Those of us suffering with the different aspects of the disease don’t care what type they call it or even IF they call it by a certain name.  It feels like it feels no matter the name.

The Mayo Clinic website says there are four types of MS: relapsing-remitting (RRMS), secondary-progressive (SPMS), primary-progressive (PPMS), and progressive-relapsing (PRMS).  If you read the descriptions of each type, you will notice that all involve a progression of the disease over years.  It does not go away entirely no matter what type you have.

Most of us have a multitude of symptoms ranging from fatigue, pain, paralysis, blindness and cognition problems.  (I wanted to say cognition malfunction, which is what I have!)  Like many other diseases, there are nearly as many different symptoms as there are people who have them.  Most have multiple symptoms and those may be different on any given day.  Sometimes the symptoms change from one hour to the next.  Getting used to a set of problems is not an option with this disease.

Multiple means having or involving several parts, elements, or members. Sclerosis, in medical terminology, is defined as a condition in which the organs which are within the nervous system of the human body, particularly the brain and the spinal cord, harden. Sclerosis is the name of the condition which results from the degeneration of such elements of the nervous system as the myelin sheath. Sclerosis is characterized by the hardening of the tissues of the nervous system due to the inflammation of diseases.

The word sclerosis is derived from the Greek word skleros, which means hard. MS is usually diagnosed by an MRI of the brain. Hey……….is somebody trying to tell us we are hard-headed??

2 comments:

Muffie said...

No, we're not hard headed --- if anything we're just hard neuroned! As for the first part of your post, I love discerning how various regions in our country speak. I also love spelling and learning the origins of words. I'm such a nerd!
Peace,
Muff

Janie said...

I would LOVE to be a computer nerd! I am so facinated by how things work, but don't have the knowledge (or patience, sometimes!) to figure out the things I want to know. As I told a friend the other day, the more I learn, the less I know!