Thursday, April 7, 2011

Doctor, Doctor, Gimme The News……………

I go back to the doctor today.  I am supposed to tell him which treatment option I have chosen to go with.  I am not sure what to tell him.  I don’t like any of them.
Most of the people I “talk” with on the MS network are taking a variety of treatments.  Most of them have adverse reactions to the treatments and have a lot of problems related to the treatments.  Many of them are considering stopping the treatments and trying to just make it on their own.  Many have been looking into alternate treatments and “un-medical” means of treatment.
There are many forms that these alternate treatments take.  Many resort to marijuana, acupuncture, hypnosis, and other means to try and get relief that normal means of treatment do not seem to be helping with.  I do not want to go that route, but don’t know if I am ready for the side effects that routine treatments seem to cause.
If you read the little readout that comes with most medicine, it will scare you away from taking it.  Most of us just ignore it and go ahead and take what we are prescribed.  That is not always the smart thing to do.
There are tons of attorneys who are making a living solely on cases where prescribed medication has caused terrible consequences to patients, and sometimes even death.  Since the decision I make will be a long term one, I don’t want to rush into it.  I am hoping my doctor will understand this and not rush me.
Whichever treatment I end up choosing will not cure my disease so I don’t think I will need to be in any kind of a big rush to get started on it.  At best, it will try to hold the progress of the disease a little and let me have a longer life with as few symptoms as possible.  Since I already have symptoms that show progression to a certain level, I am not sure that jumping into treatment will actually do me much good.
I like my doctor and hope that he understands my hesitation to want to be a pin cushion……….. did I mention I HATE SHOTS!!!!!!

No comments: