Friday, July 13, 2012

Hello??????


My husband tells me I am losing my patience.  He is right.  People used to tell me I had the patience of Job, but I am quickly losing it!

I have read that MS causes our emotions to go haywire.  One of the things listed about the subject on the National MS Society page is this:

“Emotional liability or “moodiness” may affect persons with MS and is manifest as rapid and generally unpredictable changes in emotions. Family members may complain about frequent bouts of anger or irritability. It is unclear if the emotional liability observed in MS stems from the distress related to the disease or if it is caused by some changes in the brain. Whatever the cause, emotional lability can be one of the most challenging aspects of MS from the standpoint of family life. Family counseling may be very important in dealing with emotional liability since mood swings are likely to affect everyone in the family.”

I totally relate to this!  Things that did not bother me before get all over my nerves now.  I used to be a laid-back, easy-going person.  This is no longer the case.

I am presently having an emotional roller coaster ride with our telephone carrier.  Several weeks ago our home telephone quit working.  It took a week for the repairman to come out, find the problem, and fix it.  Six hours later, we had a bad lightning storm and the telephone went out again.  That was a week ago and we are still waiting on them to come and fix it again.  They were supposed to come today.  I looked on the website and they have moved the repair time ahead three days.  I am really frustrated!

My husband and I have cell phones, but most business contacts and such have the home telephone number.  My mother only uses the home phone as a cell phone is too complicated for her to get the hang of.  When we have to go to the store or something, she is at home with no way to call for help.  That really bothers me. 

Maybe it really is “small potatoes”, but it is driving me crazy.  I explained (by email, since you cannot talk to a REAL person anymore!) to the representative that my mother is 83 years old and I have MS.  Between the two of us it is imperative that we have a phone.  He emailed me back with an “I’m sorry you are having these problems” reply, but offered no solution. 

I don’t expect special treatment for the most part.  That is not what bothers me – it is the total lack of caring and understanding on the part of the company and their unwillingness to find a solution to the problem.
OK - I have ranted!!!  I am hoping that this will be fixed soon – if not, we can always go back to the string and can method of talking to each other. Wonder where I could buy a gazillion yards of string????


3 comments:

Muffie said...

I have the opposite reactions. I used to be rather impatient, but after MS came, I noticed that things don't cause me to fly off the handle as I did in the past.

As for utility repairs -- we're pretty lucky. We get quick service, polite technicians, and follow-up assurances. I know it must be frustrating, though, to have to wait so long for repairs and service!
Peace,
Muff

Janie said...

The technicians that come are very nice and polite.......it just takes them so long to get here!

Karen said...

I think I would be impatient with this situation whether I had MS or not! It's just plain bad service!