Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Does 1 + 1 Still Equal 2??

I know most mothers can relate to the fact that we were “multitaskers” for many years before the word was ever thought of.  Between getting the kids where they needed to be, cleaning, cooking and often holding down a public job, we multitasked long before it was the popular thing to do.
Even at work, most of us were in jobs that doing just one thing at a time was not an option.  Most jobs involve having to divide your attention between a multitude of things, and not lose track of any of them.
My husband was in management most of his life.  He would make notes as things would come up that needed taken care of so he would not forget anything.  He still does this at home, as we have quite a few things to keep up with.  Many people who know us well often kid him about putting something down on his notes.
I find that as the MS progresses, my concentration is getting harder and harder to maintain.  Things that used to come easily to me, I have to struggle with.  I don’t even try to help with the checkbook now as simple math problems seem like rocket science some days. 
I, too, have always been fond of making lists, but now they seem overwhelming.  I can feel myself getting sweaty and anxious if there are more than a couple of things on the list, even if they are as simple as calling someone or checking email.
I was beginning to think that I was getting senile or early Alzheimer’s until learning more about MS symptoms.  I’m not sure knowing that confusion and difficulty with normal, everyday activities is a sign of MS is a good thing or bad.  Either way, some days are very difficult and hard to deal with.
I was always told that 1 + 1 equals 2.  Unfortunately, now, some days, 1 + 1 just equals two ones…………….

No comments: