Thursday, February 24, 2011

Where is Neverland When You Need It?

Doctors are funny people.  They don’t seem to have a clue that some of the things they take for granted are serious to us patients.  I am sure that when you see illness and disease for a living, some things just get to be “old hat”.  I think they sometimes forget that the rest of us still get shocked and upset over their “norm”.
Take the matter of having Home Health come over and put an IV in my arm for three days.  This was told to me in a matter-of-fact type way with no expression other than calm.  I, on the other hand, nearly fell out of my chair.  Maybe that is ordinary, everyday type things to him, but to me, it is rather far out there!
Did I mention I HATE NEEDLES??!!!!!!!!  Sorry, I seem to be stuck on that…. Everything I am told lately has to do with needles.  There must be a better way!
I really want to be a good patient; not whining and complaining about the least little thing.  I think I have done well so far.  I have done the MRIs, spinal taps, reflex exam, etc and not complained.  I am a grown up lady who is supposed to take things as they come and keep a stiff upper lip.
Maybe I’m not doing as well as I thought I was.  I keep thinking that if I put things off long enough, I will wake up from this dream and things will be OK.  The little girl in me keeps hoping for the rainbows and happy endings.  Peter Pan could be just around the corner…………….
OK, I flushed.  Things are better and I will quit whining.  I still don’t like needles and will strive to find a better way of dealing with these treatments.  But I am also keeping my eyes open in case a little fairy dust drifts down from the ceiling…………..

No comments: