Friday, June 22, 2012

I MUST Be Getting Old!!


Some of you that are younger may not remember the things that those of us older people do.  Although things are so much easier now, and computers have opened the world up to all of us, sometimes I get nostalgic for the “good old days”.

I was googling drive-ins.  For those who don’t know what that is, neither did Google at first!  It threw up things about flash drives and such.  Now a flash drive



NOTHING to do with a drive in!!




No matter how you look at it, the two do not resemble each other!! I guess it brought me into reality about how old I am getting and how removed I am from the present generations.

When I was working, there were quite a few young people working there also.  Our state was getting a new area code and we were talking about telephone numbers.  Some of us were talking about how telephone numbers used to have letters in them and we used to have to dial “0” and get an operator to dial a long distance number.  The younger girls had heard of an operator, but thought we were joking about letters in a telephone number.  They didn’t believe it even after several of us had confirmed it.

Being stuck in the house now that the summer has gotten really cranked up has allowed me time to think and see the world from a different viewpoint.  One of the most special times when I was young was lying on the ground and looking up at the clouds.  Each of us would try to “find something” in the clouds before one of the others of us could.  That would be really boring to most kids these days.




We used to find horse, flowers, Mickey Mouse and all kinds of things.  I guess now kids just Google what they want to see.
Another thing we loved to do, and I rarely hear about it anymore, is looking for lightening bugs.  Remember those wonderful little critters that would sparkle in the night?  They were so thrilling to us as kids.  Sometimes we would catch them and put them in a jar.  Grandma always made us put holes in the lid so they would not die.  She also made us let them go after a few hours so they could go on about their business.  But, while we had them, they were a special kind of magic that only a small child can fully enjoy.  (I think I must be going into my second childhood….I saw some out the door the other night and that old thrill of seeing those little sparkles ran all over me!!)


3 comments:

Muffie said...

Oh, Wow, was that a trip down memory lane! We had a lot of drive-ins around here when I was a kid, and now I don't think there are any. I, too loved lying on the lawn and imagining cloud pictures. (I still do, but I can't lie there anymore!) oh, and lightening bugs -- my mom was the same! Don't sell this generation short -- if the parents introduce them to those things, they WILL enjoy! Thanks for the reminiscences!

Peace,
Muff

Janie said...

I hate that there are few drive-ins left and kids can't really go all over the neighborhood at Halloween like we did.......I really love those memories and wish my grandsons could share them......

Catedid said...
This comment has been removed by the author.