Tuesday, June 12, 2012

If It Walks Like A Duck………..


I went to my neuro last Friday.  My husband and I made a list of the symptoms I am having to talk with him about.

I told him about the lightning bolt headaches, the pain in the nape of my neck when I look down, the constant buzzing in my feet, arms and hands, the jello legs and so forth.  He listened as we read down the list and nodded.

I like him for the most part.  He is a little guy from India, very pleasant and quiet spoken.  The part I don’t like is his uncertainty and unwillingness to commit to a probable cause of my problems.  He is young and a text book doctor who does not believe things fit in a certain category unless all the symptoms are there as they are written in the book.

He tells me I have a lot of symptoms of MS, but the jello legs and such have nothing to do with MS.  I beg to differ.  If all the doctors would actually talk with MS patients and realize that there are none that I know of who “fit the criteria” for MS, they would begin to realize just how strange this disease is.

I go on a lot of MS sites and read what others are saying.  So many are in the same boat I am.  They go from doctor to doctor without any relief or understanding.  Some get so discouraged that they stop even trying to find a doctor.  They have no help with their pain and fall into that dangerous hole of depression.  I do not intend to do that.  Although it seems like a long road to travel at the moment, I am going to keep on it and make the best of what I run into.

I don’t care what I doctor wants to call what I have.  I don’t want to get on a high powered MS drug at my age anyway.  I just want someone to be willing to help me when something drastic happens that is out of the norm.  He can call what I have bubonic plague, jungle rot or ingrown toenail for all I care.  All I am asking is that he give me a little understanding and try to help me get through it……….until he reaches that point, me and my duck will just waddle along and quack to each other!

3 comments:

Muffie said...

I really understand what you're saying. I was fortunate in that, after seeing 4 doctors, I found one willing to give it the MS name. Of course, then he got on the concierge doctor routine, and I had to leave him, too.
Good luck with finding someone who understands. And, just for the record, I do carry the MS label, and I've had every one of your symptoms!
Peace,
Muff

Anna said...

Oh how I know your frustration. So sorry you have to go through this. It is so frustrating to be diagnostically challenged!

Janie said...

Oh Anna........I love that term diagnostically challenged! I've had two neuros say MS (both moved away) and two say maybe........like I say, I don't need to "name" just the help!!