Wednesday, March 23, 2011

In The Good Old Summertime

We rode out in the country yesterday to take my mother to visit with her sister.  It was a beautiful ride.  The trees are budding and the flowers blooming.  The grass is getting green and the birds are flying around trying to find a good place to build a nest.  It was beautiful.  I wish I could really appreciate it.
Although I was thrilled with the beauty of everything, my main thought was that it would soon be hot.  I don’t do hot.  It makes me weak, nauseous and have a splitting headache.
I know most people can’t wait for summer and getting outside after being stuck in all winter.  I am opposite.  Not only will I still be stuck in, but can only reminisce about all the fun I used to have in the summertime.  I loved planting and caring for a garden, fishing, lying in the sun and getting tanned, and most outdoor activities.  They are only memories now.
MS makes your body hate heat.  I love a hot shower, but feel how weak it makes me when I try to take one now.  I loved getting a tan, but know that it would not be worth the price I would pay for trying to get one.  I can help with the garden if I go out in the early morning and don’t stay long.  I can fish if I stay in the shade and don’t go on days it is over 80 degrees. 
I can do many of the things I did, but on a lesser scale and with restrictions.  I guess that is true of most of us.  Not only age, but infirmities, finances and other things in life put the brakes on many of the activities we once considered normal.  They are now luxuries.
It is still fun to watch the world begin to bloom again in the Spring and listen to the birds bring their songs to cheer the day.  I just have to do it from inside the house rather than out in the yard.  That’s OK; it is still beautiful and wonderful.

No comments: