Monday, March 7, 2011

The Pinocchio Syndrome

I remember hearing the story of Pinocchio when I was young.  All Pinocchio wanted was to be a real boy – to be normal.  I think I have a form of that syndrome.  It would be wonderful to be normal.
Unlike a lot of polls, I think, deep down, most of us like being normal.  I know few people who really want to be the lead singer or the star; they are happy being a back up and have a walk on part.  Most of us don’t really want to stand out in a crowd or be the center of attention.  I think it would be so sad to be so popular that every time I walked in a store my picture and everything I did was in a magazine for all to see.
It would be nice to get up in the morning, go to work, come home, fix dinner, and do it all again the next day.  Not that I didn’t do that for many years, because I did.  Only then, I didn’t appreciate it.  Do you?  I don’t know anyone who hasn’t at one time wished their lives could be more exciting and less “normal”.  We take for granted that every day we will be doing the same thing and never changing.  Please don’t take that for granted!
We are constantly told that different polls are taken and this, that and the other, is considered normal.  Personally, I think a lot of it is ridiculous.  If you look at some of the outcomes of these polls, I have never in my life known a normal person!
I especially remember that for many years, the average/normal person had 2 ½ children.  I have two questions for that: (1) who has the other ½ of your child, and (2) do you get to choose which ½ you want?!!

No comments: