Thursday, March 17, 2011

Top 10 List

10.     MUST BE NICE TO SLEEP ALL DAY
9.       YOU'RE LUCKY YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORK
8.       I CAN RELATE TO THAT
7.       JUST TAKE SOMETHING
6.       JUST TRY HARDER
5.       JUST BE POSITIVE
4.       YOU JUST WANT ATTENTION
3.       IT’S ALL IN YOUR HEAD
2.       IT COULD BE WORSE
1.       BUT YOU LOOK SO GOOD
10 THINGS YOU DO NOT SAY TO SOMEONE WHO HAS MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS.  This was posted on the MS Facebook page the other day.  I really liked it and thought I would share it with you.
I think most of us have been taught all our lives to be positive, courteous and kind to everyone.  Sometimes, that tendency to be overly positive, is not the thing to be.  If someone is having a really hard day, a little sympathy goes a long way.  Not that most of us want others to think we are the only ones on earth who are having problems.  That is not the case at all.  It is just that if you are hurting, and it is an everyday thing, the above listed remarks are not the appropriate things to say.
When I meet someone, my first remark is not that I have MS.  It is not information that I share lightly.  I don’t feel that everyone needs to know. 
I do feel, however, that if I decide to share this information that is so very personal and one of the biggest parts of my life, it is your duty as a fellow human being to acknowledge that this is my burden and I have chosen to share it with you.  None of us with MS wants you to “walk on eggshells” around us; just realize that we are going through a never ending struggle that we accept and hope you will also.
We are all in this crazy world together and hopefully will hold each other up when needed. Those of us with MS will be more than glad to share your burdens with you if you will let us! 

No comments: